Waltham Forest v Stansted

    2 - 1
    Full Time


    Date Time Competition Season
    Apr 21, 2018 3:00 pm Essex Senior League 2017-18



    Forest secured a huge three points in a real relegation scrap with Stansted on Saturday. Both teams put in passionate, committed performances, and Forest had to put in a resolute performance against 10 men for 45 minutes to secure the points.

    Forest had been slow to start in recent games, but came out on the front foot, with Tony Da Silva’s presence in the Stansted box allowing Shomari Barnwell to get a shot in, but the front man blazed high and wide. Da Silva then had another effort in the visitors’ box blocked.

    But against the run of play, Stansted took the lead. With a forward closing in on goal, Jonjo Walsh made a last-ditch tackle to stop the shot. But with the forward moving away from goal, the referee adjudged Rheo Josephs to have fouled, and after a long period of indecisiveness, the referee pointed to the spot. If anything, Walsh’s tackle looked the more likely to be given a penalty, but Ramsay just about converted the penalty, squeezing the ball to Harkin’s right.

    Stansted were dangerous on set-pieces all afternoon, and were on top approaching half time, having wasted a number of half-chances.

    Though with five minutes of the half to play, Forest got back into it. Stansted missed a number of opportunities to clear the ball, with it eventually falling to Elias Siligato on the edge of the box. The midfielder shot hard and low through a crowd of bodies and into the bottom corner.

    Forest ramped up the pressure before half time and were rewarded when a corner from Josh Brimacombe-Wiard bounced around the box, eventually falling to Gus Douglas, whose goal-bound effort hit the hands of a Stansted defender. It was perhaps a little harsh, and there were not huge appeals from Forest, but Clayton received his marching orders and Barnwell smashed the resulting penalty home.

    If Stansted were expected to roll over in the second half, they did anything but that, and spent most of the half narrowly edging a midfield battle.

    Their best chance came following a free kick where an effort on the edge of the box was cleared off the line by Joe Lustig.

    Lloyd had a number of chances for Stansted, while at the other end, Forest had to make the most out of a few corners. In the dying minutes Siligato had the chance to secure the points after being put through by Harry Morgan, but his curling effort was denied by a fine save.

    It was a nervy second half for Forest, but they were spurred on by the Waltham Rabble, ever increasing in numbers. Forest are now in a far stronger position to avoid the drop, though with Stansted having a game in hand, and Wadham Lodge three games, Forest will still be relying on results to go their way.

    Image: Jonjo Rooney for Pickles Magazine.



    Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome
    Waltham Forest202Win